Sunday 26 August 2012 | By ThreeWeeks Editorial
ThreeWeeks Editors’ Awards celebrate ten great things about Festival 2012
The 2012 ThreeWeeks Editors’ Awards were presented at theSpace @ Symposium Hall yesterday morning.
These go to the ten things that the editors of ThreeWeeks, with the input of their review team, reckon made that year’s Festival particularly special. Prizes can go to performers, shows, companies and venues, and the 2012 winners were as follows:
1. Richard Tyrone Jones for his Free Fringe spoken word programme
2. Fine Chisel for their three 5/5 shows this year
3. Patrick Monahan for years of great stand-up and children’s shows, not least this year’s ‘Shooting From The Lip!’
4. Piece Of Work for their excellent show ‘Script In Hand’
5. Temple Theatre for their excellent show ‘Unmythable’
6. Elsa Jean McTaggart for impressing ThreeWeeks reviewers past and present
7. ThickSkin for their excellent show ‘The Static’
8. Doug Segal for truly embracing the Fringe community spirit and presenting a brilliant show this year
9. Hunt & Darton for their truly innovative Fringe cafe
10. The Bongo Club for so many great Fringe experiences over the years
ThreeWeeks co-Editor Chris Cooke said: “In a year where the Olympics and the continued recession put a strain on ticket sales in some quarters, and where the debate over the ‘commercialisation’ of the Fringe was particularly loud, we should not forget how many great shows, performances and cultural experiences took place in this city in the last 25 days. Of course their are issues and challenges for the Fringe community to consider, but this remains the most important cultural happening on the planet, and our ten winners are amongst those performers and producers who make it so. Thanks to them for keep us entertained, and ensuring we here at ThreeWeeks are as excited about the Edinburgh Festival now as we were when we first covered it in 1996”.